Thursday, September 23, 2010

Sex, Barça, and the Spanish way

Hola queridos,

After a few kind words of harassment from the audience at home and much ado about nothing, I am finally able to say that I find myself in this moment in the country of Spain, at the University of Barcelona, with access to a computer that has internet, and more than 3 minutes of free time.  Enbuenahora! (Finally!)  So here goes nothing.

First, the update I know you all are dying to hear about, and obviously the most important:  No I have not found the love of my life yet.  I've definitely seen some contenders though. ;)  I do want to state for the record that I am not going to do anything *too* crazy, and as Natalia tells me almost everyday, Europe means more choices, not lower standards.  However, my philosophy is more similar to window shopping, if you know what I mean...look, but don't touch!

My classes here in the University are unique to say the least.  This was my first week of real class, and I feel like I've learned so much about the people in Spain, and so little about the actual subject of the class.  For example, my favorite class is art history.  Those of you who are my better acquaintances will be shocked to hear this due to my long standing dislike for art history in general, but let me explain why.  Our profe (professor) has managed to turn a lecture on Dali into a history of his personal sex life and instead teaches us "important" words to know in Spanish...that are also sexual.  I've learned in my brief time here, that Españoles in general adore telling dirty jokes.  I, of course, love this about their culture.  This profe also loves to invent things about his own life, like in the movie Big Fish, and has some fantastic one liners.  So class is thoroughly more enjoyable here than in the US, and well as being 10 times easier.

During free time in Spain (which is pretty much all the time), I love to explore.  My host mom, Ámparo, took me on a tour of the neighborhood the very first day, and since that moment she tells me at least once a day that you can't know a city without walking in it everyday.  So needless to say, I go out a lot.  We've only been in Spain two and a half weeks, but there have been adventures every single day.  I won't go into them all now, but a few of my favorite things that we've done have been: 1)discovering carajillo (coffee and coñac) and then going to a movie 2)hanging out in Sugar, a fabulously sketchy bar 3)helping tourists on the metro 4)going to a concert in Catalán, so we couln't understand a word of what was happening 5)ranking boys in terms of attractiveness at the University.

You all know me, and know how...shall we say fanatical I am in terms of my sports.  Fútbol has quickly become my absolute obsession.  FC Barcelona (lovingly known as Barça) is the local fútbol team.  I am a huge fan of the team, and my host mom and I always watch the games with her at home.  We scream, we cheer, we cry, we are pretty much crazy.  Also, added bonus, I live literally two blocks away from the stadium, Camp Nou.  My favorite part is that my beloved (as my host mom calls him, my "enamorado") David Villa plays there.  Just a side note, he won the game for Barça yesterday :)

I'll be updating more often now that I have access to computers with internet at the University...I promise!!!

That's all for now...
Cuidense! (Take care!)
Mandita

1 comment:

  1. I love that we are basically vacationing and getting credit for it! School should be like this everywhere and all the time. Then, my GPA would be sky-high!

    ReplyDelete